This is a photo essay of coming home through a winter weather window. The trip began in Ajo AZ and ended in Oliver BC in December 2015. The photos are a sample of what we saw along the way.
Day One – all Arizona
We headed out of Ajo AZ and up the Joshua Tree Parkway ending the day in the Golden Valley on AZ 68 just NorthWest of Kingman.
We won’t be taking this route northbound again because of the up and down topography. Pretty, yes. Worthwhile, no. We’ll go back to our tried and true Ajo through Parker to Needles. Yep, California here we come … next time.
Day Two – across the Colorado through Vegas to Alamo
Out of Golden Valley, down the long descent to the Colorado, up the other side to meet US 95 northbound. I know, we could have taken US 93 – this is a just a matter of preference and habit. Through Vegas to the US 93 exit North of the city and on up to Alamo NV.
We got in before three in the afternoon. Others arrived before dark. They were all going South.
Day Three – Alamo north to Jackpot
Our weather window was barely open today. I was hoping to make Jackpot before the snow came.
Maybe no falling snow today … then again, maybe … five hours between these photos.
Parked in Jackpot – safe and sound. Weather report says the storm will hit tonight.
Day Four – Jackpot through Boise and over the Blue Mountains
Today is our window. There was snow yesterday in the Blue Mountains and they expect more tomorrow. We get through today or we put on chains or we sit and wait.
This is on the road from Jackpot north to Twin Falls. It didn’t snow in Jackpot last night. Up ahead there are flashing lights. I slowed down to pass by and when I accelerated (gently) the automatic anti-skid system in the truck responded. Look at the picture. That is black ice. It is not water. If it hadn’t been for the emergency vehicles, I would not have slowed down and I would not have known the road condition. There were three more in the ditch in a ten-mile stretch.
Twin Falls ID got snow last night.
Let’s hope this is as bad as it gets today. It’s not my first time pulling a trailer on roads like this, but I don’t do it by choice.
It could be worse. If this is as bad as it gets today, we’ll get through the window.
We’re holding 55 mph and the road is simply wet – no falling snow, no ice. On a dry day, we would be doing 60 mph. I don’t mind driving according to conditions.
They are not going much faster than we are but they do have more rubber on the road.
Day Five – Pendleton OR to Oliver BC
We are through the window and all we have to do today is finish this trip.
There are no more photos.
We spent the morning of Day Five in dense fog. It didn’t clear until we were North of Moses Lake.
The rest of the day was ho-hum.
Plan carefully. Go when the Winter Weather Window is open.